iCAN Key Advocates
iCAN needs you now more than ever.
Become your congregation's Key Advocate today!
Congratulations to Jevne Kloeber of Prior Lake, MN, our 2012 Key Advocate of the Year! The award was presented at Day on the Hill, March 20, 2012.
Minnesota is home to 1.3 million children between the ages of 0-18, but far too many of them aren't experiencing "Minnesota Nice."
- An estimated 192,000 of our children live in poverty.
- 75,000 lack health insurance coverage.
- 79% of families have all resident parents in the workplace, yet many jobs do not pay a sufficient wage for families to cover all their basic needs.
These statistics defy what the prophets and sacred texts of the great faith traditions teach about justice, compassion, and caring for children.
Every Minnesota congregation needs a Key Advocate
If you care about children and take the teachings of your faith tradition seriously, you're ready to be a Key Advocate. iCAN has over 400 Key Advocates building awareness of children's needs and leading Minnesota faith communities in doing social justice advocacy at the legislative level.
- receive initial training in grassroots political advocacy;
- receive regular updates about issues that impact Minnesota children through iCANS's newsletters and Wednesdays4Kids e-mail alerts, and other sources;
- contact their elected officials through phone calls, e-mails, letters, and one-on-one visits, to tell them to support policies that improve children's lives and oppose policies that hurt children;
- speak out for children suffering neglect, poverty, or abuse, through pulpit announcements during worship services, or through their congregation's worship bulletins or newsletters;
- share iCAN information and resources and guide other members of their congregations in doing legislative advocacy;
- share and keep the concerns of children before the congregation's leaders and decision-makers, through events like the Children's Sabbath and the Blue Ribbon Campaign/National Child Abuse Prevention Month;
- model compassion for all children to their congregations and communities;
- work to create a child- and family-supportive atmosphere in their congregations and communities;
- pray for children everywhere.
iCAN Congregational Sponsorship
Congregations are encouraged to support iCAN by becoming Congregational Sponsors. Choose your sponsorship level from the list below and click on the continue button to complete your transaction. Gifts to iCAN are managed through the JRLC Paypal account.
iCAN Individual Sponsorship
Individuals are encouraged to support iCAN by becoming Individual Sponsors. Choose your sponsorship level from the list below and click on the continue button to complete your transaction. Gifts to iCAN are managed through the JRLC Paypal account.