Faribault Candidate Forum
- Created on Wednesday, 31 October 2012 19:41
Last Saturday we co-hosted our second candidate forum with the Children’s Defense Fund – MN. This time we headed down to the beautiful Buckham Memorial Library in Faribault, where Senate District 24 candidate Vicki Jensen, House District 24A candidate John Petersburg, and House District 24B candidate Patti Fritz gathered to discuss how to alleviate child poverty in Minnesota. Our moderator at this forum was Rev. Michael Mandsager, a pastor at First English Lutheran Church in Faribault, which also co-sponsored the event. We had about twenty attendees.
As in Hawley, CDF – MN and JRLC staff gave informative presentations on child poverty statistics, the harmful effects of toxic stress, and the poverty-reducing potential of the Family Economic Security Act. This time, though, the poverty data came from the area in which legislative district 24 is located, which includes parts of Rice, Steele, Waseca, and Dodge Counties and the cities of Faribault, Owatonna, and Waseca.
The forum discussion revealed that the three candidates had many values and concerns in common. Fritz, Jensen, and Petersburg were all supportive of the Family Economic Security Act after JRLC Executive Director Brian Rusche outlined its provisions. All three criticized the last legislature’s decision to borrow from the schools to balance the budget. The candidates also expressed interest in simplifying and streamlining applications for social services, recognizing that burdensome paperwork can violate human dignity.
During the Q & A time, audience members demonstrated their engagement by questioning the candidates on a variety of topics, including whether it was time to raise revenues to strengthen Minnesota’s social safety net and how the candidates would address the plight of homeless children.
- Eleanor Glewwe, Advocacy Associate
Recent Blog Posts
- Hard Work Just Isn't Enough: Raise the Wage!
- Mythbusters: Payday Lending!
- Of Harvest and SNAP
- Interfaith Inquiry in India
- A Nomadic Exploration
- Eleanor's Farewell
- iCAN Seeking Performance Venues - FAQs
- Day on the Grill!
- Loan Sharks and Jesus Fish
- iCAN Enters the Theater World
- Youth Advocacy Workshop at Camp Chi Rho
- Creative Advocacy from Theological Roots
- Session 2013: We Still Have Work To Do
- Hey, Legislature: Raise My Taxes!
- Loaves and Fishes and Collective Responsibility
- Introduction to Community Organizing: Social Media and Online Tools
- Taxes as a Spiritual Practice
- Gun Safety and Jesus's Nonviolence
- Top 10 Reasons to Call Your Legislators
- Introduction to Community Organizing: Using the Media
- Taxes for the Common Good
- Day on the Hill From the Other Side
- Introduction to Community Organizing: Strategies and Tactics
- Introduction to Community Organizing: Choosing an Issue
- Introduction to Community Organizing: One-to-One 101
- Top five reasons why I'm supporting the Family Economic Security Act
- Interfaith + Interaction
- Early Intervention Prevents Human Trafficking
- A New Legislature
- Stillwater Candidate Forum
- Faribault Candidate Forum
- Hawley Candidate Forum on Child Poverty
- New Engagement
- A Modern Form of Usury
- Front Line Faith for Many Issues
- Finding Common Ground for the Common Good
- A Betrayal of Interests
- Interfaith Dialogue in Action
- Alternative Concerns
- This is Our Time!
- Tracking the Trends in Greater MN
- Don't cut SNAP!
- That Elusive Term - Justice!
- The Dignity of Work
- Fond farewell
- From Academia to Activism
- My Vikings Headache
- Thinking Outside the Box
- Amber's Day at the Capitol
- Housing vigils abound